Sunday, November 11, 2007

The toughest 1000 (or 1300) miles of racing known to man.

Well, I've been up for about 45 minutes. It's 4:30am right now. I swore last week at this same time that I would look for later flights from now on. Hell, I *had* an earlier flight but I would be suspicious if anything I planned for Baja went according to that plan.


Ok so lets count... yep third time. This makes my third consecutive Baja 1000. The plan is to link up with a dude named Frank off who I met through Pirate4x4.com. He is hooking me up with a ride from San Diego, across the border... oops ride to the airport is here...

5:30am- Phew! I love the PDX airport. Even when busy it runs sooo much smoother than most airports. The free wi-fi is especially nice as well. I'm sitting at the Capers Cafe which is right in front of you as you exit the A,B,C, gates security checkpoint. They have really great food here by any standards, not just the standards of air travel.
Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, my third Baja. I wouldn't go so far as to say i'm a veteran but at least I have a pretty good idea what will happen or rather what won't happen. Nothing will go according to plan, that much I figure is definite but the plan is: I link up with JT Taylor of XRRA Rock Racing noteworthiness. JT heads up a chase team for Speed Technologies. ST is races Class I. I will attempt to find JT at Las Rosas hotel, a few miles North of Ensenada sometime today. It's my only real mission today really and if I pull that off I'm set to ride with JT's chase team tomorrow morning from Ensenada to CataviƱa several hundred miles South.

Here in this blog, if I have internet connection, I'll try to keep a blow by blow for those of you that enjoy such things. You'll have the extra pleasure of an un-edited account of this trip. If you are excited by the idea, curb your enthusiasm until you see what happens when my writing sees the light of day sans editing and polish. Though i will post some photos here, you'll need to check the pages of CRAWL Magazine to see the best ones as well as more details and minutia that I will no doubt be too lazy to put in this blog while on the road.

Ok.... here we go.



View Larger Map

No comments: